crafty trunk


Shhhh!! I'm suppose to be finishing up my pictures for Friday's blog party (Where Bloggers Create), and also going through my list of errands. The big Harry Potter movie marathon starts tomorrow so I wanted to get all my other things done today. But....


Ever since Celia over at Adventures of the Striped Stockings posted THIS a few days ago I have been obsessed. Celia took her daughter to see the movie Judy Moody And The Not So Bummer Summer. Judy's Aunt Opal (played by Heather Graham) is an eccentric artsy character and this is her craft trunk. Isn't it just fabulously amazing?!

Being the mom of a Harry Potter crazed teenage son, I would have never thought of Judy Moody...and I would have missed this wonderful trunk, so thank you Celia!



Well of course I had to think of a way to make my own magical crafty trunk. At first I wanted to make one I could really use and take with me whenever I go out of town to visit my mom for a few days. I found this case at the thrift store a few months ago.



It's 15x12x6 and solid wood. It's actually a cassette tape holder (remember those) and what I love is that all the little dividers are removable. I was already using it to hold a lot of my ATC stuff but I decided to turn it into my new crafty trunk.

By the way, the trunk from the movie came from the Metropolitan Opera and is about 4 feet tall. Now somewhere in the back of my mind I think there's an old trunk about that size in my mom's garage. Hmmm...



I turned the case on it's side, took out some of the dividers, glued on paper, trim and started stuffing it with all sorts of crafty goodies...



Because this case was already way too heavy before I even started filling it, I realized it wasn't going to work as a travel trunk. So I just had fun with it and made it more decorative than practical.



I recycled a little drawer from another cabinet, made a nook for magical books, threw in bottles and boxes of this and that.


Remember my altered Sweet Tart box bag? It fits right onto the lid and even works as a little file holder.



So I may not be able to take my trunk on any trips but I love having it in my studio, and I can play with it anytime I feel like dreaming about being a hip eccentric guerilla artist.

Plus...

I can still hunt around for another trunk I can really use on the road (maybe an old suitcase). Now back to editing those pictures and getting on with my errands. Be back soon :)


21 comments:

Victoria said...

Yay..FABulous...shine on creative kindred..I look forward to your wbc post!!!
Victoria

GerryART said...

Annnnn-na, I wanna trunk of my own.

Guess, I'm goin' on a hunt to find just the right one for MY TRUNK ! ! ! Can I paint it PINK ! !

hugs

goddessandmagick said...

Anna you are so creative and I love to see your imagination flying! I love to see others art room, I guess we tired of our own, I never heard of the movie, I read the books. I need to see it now. Love art, and live for it every day.

ShabbyChicShaz said...

Loving your transformed trunk, it's amazing, practical and so so pretty!

CuddlyBunny said...

Holy cow! I love the idea, the story and your wonderful art "trunk"!

I'm sure you'll be making a bigger version ... I can feel it! And I can't wait to SEE it!

Wendy Aspinall said...

OH MY Anna I love the trunk and guess what is sitting in my living room??? yes a trunk.. unused and unloved I love yours... fun and fun of whismsy I'll see you at the blog party make sure you pop over...Ps we are going to see harry too on friday.... so looking forwards to seeing it....but also sad hugs wendy

Heathen said...

LOVE this!! Absolutely amazing!

Linda said...

Wow Anna! what an amazing find. I'd love to have one of these too. I've searched... Nothing at very good prices here. Most places want top dollar. You found something very very good. I will post what I found at the second hand store soon.

Anonymous said...

This does look like a project that would work best on a movie set (where there are burly stagehands to move it around) or as a corner display in a really great craft room.
Your idea of refurbishing the old tape case is wonderful.

Looking forward to WBC.

AlphaBetsy said...

Wow... both of those trunks are amazing. I will have to play with this concept myself. So beautifully done.

Thespoena McLaughlin said...

Oh, well done GF! Gorgeous! Love how you incorporated your paper purse into it. Perfect use! I so can't wait to see the new Harry Potter with my daughter but she is going to be out of town on the 15th and 16th with her girl scout troop so we won't get to see it till the following weekend. Have fun! And can't wait to come back and visit you for the blog party. I am joining in too.

Sinderella's Studio said...

Anna, love it! My granddaughter is coming for her b-day visit (over night without siblings) and we always do a special project. She gets to work in grandma's artroom instead of the kitchen table on these visits! I must find a trunk for us to do! When I went to Key West for my paint-week a gal from Quebec had the perfect suitcase for her art supplies...as we were painting on the streets people kept trying to buy it!
cheers, dana

Dianie said...

SCREAM!!!! OMGOSH!!!! I have never seen anything like it. I LOVE the trunk.. I have to watch the movie ;)
I love your art trunk, it turned out so wonderfully magical.. full of inspiration.

Thanks so much for sharing.

~Diane

Mary said...

Wow what a fantastic idea. I've seen cases like that at our local thrift store for next to nothing. Now I am going hunting. Thanks ever so much for sharing.
Hugs
Mary

Celia said...

LOVE IT!!!! You did a great job! I'm still sketching ideas for my big trunk(armoire).....I can't wait to come back and visit the blog party! My craft area is in the process of a makeover....so I can't wait to see all of the inspiring craft areas!

voodoo vixen said...

Ooooh, that is fabby doozy indeedy!!

Anonymous said...

Such a great trunk !! That really gets the fingers itching to create !!!
Have a great day.

Patricia's Paper Crafts said...

Absolutely fabulous find!

Sara said...

oh its fabulous. I would love to have the space for something like that. Hugs Sara

Theresa MacNaughton said...

That trunk is fabulous!!! :)

Amy A said...

LOVE this idea! Thanks for the inspiration~