endings and beginnings

Last day of school for my son today....finally. It seems everyone else has been out the last few weeks, but for our school district it starts today (well tomorrow officially). Next year he starts the 10th grade. I still can't believe it, where did all those years go?

Yesterday the official theatrical trailer for the second half of the final Harry Potter movie was released. Sebastian was so excited, and sad at the same time. I know I've mentioned before how my son grew up with Harry. It's been a constant thing in our household the last 10 years and something the two of us share together...through midnight book releases, opening day for the films, collecting Potter memorabilia and doing our own special Harry Potter events throughout the year.

When I dropped him off at school this morning he looked a little sad. I asked if he was sad about the school year being over and he said no (he couldn't wait for it to end). He got out of the car, went around to the trunk to grab his backback and right before he shut the door he said 'this will be the last school year I'll ever have a Harry movie to look forward to, it's the end'.

I drove away from the school thinking how funny it was that he saw it that way. But then I realized I felt the same way too, silly as it seems, and it made me a little sad for more reasons than just the series finally coming to an end...

Harry has grown up and he's ready to move on to the next adventure,

and my not so little guy is growing up too.



 


But I'm really looking forward to seeing Mrs Weasely give it to Bellatrix!

And then there's also this mysterious new thing to look forward to this summer...

9 comments:

Wendy Aspinall said...

It some ways I feel the same ...Part of Harry Potter reminds me so much of growing up in England.. the ride on old trains, even Hogwarts remindes me of a school trip to an old castle in france...Owen my oldest looked so much like harry apart from the scar that he's nickname at school was harry and my youngest is named Byron with bright red hair and he gets called Ron... Because books are so well written they will stand the test of time and who knows one day your son will share them with his kids....

Heathen said...

I have mixed feeling about this. On the one hand, I love the Harry Potter series and will miss it. On the other, it's honestly been so long since I read the books AND the actors are getting a bit old for their roles.

Either way, I can't wait to see the final movie!

Art From The heart said...

My kids were well before Harry Potter but they have followed him to a degree.
I always loved the last day of school...for the summer they were mine again.
Hugs, Amy

Antonella said...

Awe, this is neat because it may be the first time he has put words to the feelings of how things change over time... my little one just finished 3rd grade yesterday and this morning woke up sad because he missed his teacher already :-) Hope you have a wonderful summer with your son! Hugs, antonella :-)

Cameron said...

Gosh....10th grade! Mine starts Kindergarten...and yet, I know, it will go so fast....

How nice that you 2 have had Harry to bond over! What sweet memories to share...

Linda said...

I've grown to love the series also. Yes, they certinly have grown. I've learned that there maybe something in the works for the actors..not sure what it is, but will be on the look out. I love when we have Harry Potter week ends on the family channel.
Would love to see pics of Sabastian. From what your discribe hae sounds like an amazing and creative young man.

Kathy said...

I'm with your son. I'm sad that his is the end of the Harry Potter saga. My daughter grew up with the books and movies. It's a bittersweet feeling. Tell Sebastian he's right to feel that way. Cheers, Kathy

Theresa MacNaughton said...

This was so bittersweet! I feel sad that the Harry Potter saga is now coming to an end - no more movies or books. :( I'm glad that you got to share the Harry Potter adventure with him. :) And thanks for posting the new trailer - I hadn't seen it yet!

A Magical Whimsy said...

Thank you for reminding us about the pottermore.com link. It says J.K. Rowling will make an announcement on the Pottermore You Tube link this evening in about six hours...I wonder what it is going to be??? It is funny, as I actually only just found out about that link today from another link.
My twenty year old son grew up with the Harry Potter books too, and when he was 10 1/2 he had a Harry Potter birthday party and we did face painting and of course he chose a lightning bolt 'scar' to be painted on his forehead...he'll be twenty-one in July, almost a year younger than Daniel Radcliff. We all plan to go to the midnight showing of the final movie too. I have read and re-read the books many times. I hope they make a complete Harry Potter Trivia Game.